Hand foot mouth disease is a mild viral infection common in young children.
- Highly contagious (spreads rapidly in close gathering
- Caused by coxsackievirus
- No specific treatment. Only symptomatic treatment
- Sore throat
- Mouth ulcer (painful blisters inside mouth)
- Rashes mainly on extremities, hand and foot. Sometimes blisters (fluids filled lesions may be there)
- Poor feeding
- Irritability in small children
Incubation period: 3-6 days after exposure children starts presenting symptoms.
- Paracetamol for fever and pain
- Multivitamin to help in healing process
- Anti allergic if itching and rashes worsens
- Settle down in 10 days
- Review with your child specialist detailed discussion in case of doubt and to rule out other cause.
- Frequent hand washing
- Avoid close contact
- Plenty of fluids